Thursday, May 15, 2014

Winnie's Go Quickly Cookies

1/2 cup raisins
1 cup water
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup ground bread crumbs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
2 cups flour

Boil raisins in water for 5 minutes. Take off stove and add immediately the shortening and sugar. After cooling, add beaten egg and bread crumbs. Mix well, then stir in spices, salt and soda which have been sifted together with flour. Drop by tsp on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

(NOTE: I always 4 times this recipe because they freeze well and they do "go quickly." Also, I always add 1 12-oz package chocolate chips to the larger recipe, and wheat germ, 1 quart applesauce (as this larger recipe is too thick). I have added shredded carrots, nuts, coconut, and any healthful thing you want to get into the kids. I estimate I have made over 5,000 of these cookies since I got the recipe from Mom years ago. Also, I always add 1-2 cups old fashioned oatmeal.)

No comments:

Post a Comment